Most primary schools receive a PE and Sport premium each year.
The amount depends on the number of students in years 1-6 based on the January 2018 school census, but in most cases:
- Schools with 16 or fewer pupils receive £1,000 per pupil
- Schools with 17 or more pupils receive £16,000 and an additional £10 per pupil.
The funding is paid via the local authority for maintained schools and directly to academies in two separate payments (an intial 7/12 of the funding and then 5/12 of the funding).
How it can be used.
Schools must use the funidng to make additional & sustainable improvemnts to the quality of physical education, physical activity and sports offere by the school. So the premium should be used to:
- develop or add to the activities that a school offers
- build capability (or capacity) within a school to ensure that improvements will benefit future students.
Some Examples of Funding USe
- provide staff with professional development or resources such as Cyber Coach to help them teach PE and sport more effectively and embed physical activity across your school
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers to enhance or extend current opportunities
- introduce new sports, dance or other activities to encourage more pupils to take up sport and physical activities
- support and involve the least active children by providing targeted activities, and running or extending school sports and holiday clubs
- enter or run more sport competitions
- partner with other schools to run sports activities and clubs
- increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- encourage pupils to take on leadership or volunteer roles that support sport and physical activity within the school
- raise attainment in primary school swimming to meet requirements of the national curriculum before the end of key stage 2
- embed physical activity into the school day through active travel to and from school, active playgrounds and active teaching
It can NOT be used for:
Unfortunately the fund cannot be used:
- to employ coaches to cover PPA arrangements; or
- to fund capital expenditure (we’ll be doing a BLOG on this shortly)
Schools must publish their use of the premium by the end of July on their website. The report must include:
- the amount
- a breakdown on how it was spent
- the impact of the spend
- how the improvements will be sustained in future.